Thursday, August 2, 2012

FEAR DURING AIR POCKETS

I was riding the plane today to Manila... 
the day before there was news of typhoon in Manila.

The young "laddy" across the aisle beside me told the stewardess before the flight, "I'm scared!".
I thought that she was just afraid, but not really. (let me just use "she" and "her")

During the flight, she looked anxious so I thought maybe it is her first flight.
But as soon as the airpockets came, I saw her really express her fear -- with hyperventilation and all!

I held her hand and told her not to be afraid... to take slower and deeper breaths... and tried to comfort her that this will just pass and things will be okay! I told her to close her eyes and try to breath slower!

She calmed down a bit, but in the next airpocket, she cried! I again held her hand and guided her breathing  - - - I didn't want to see her go into HYS (Hysteria) and go into a stroke-like action!

Here is a bit about Hysteria or HYS from Wikipedia:
Hysteria, in its colloquial use, describes unmanageable emotional excesses. People who are "hysterical" often lose self-control due to an overwhelming fear that may be caused by multiple events in one's past that involved some sort of severe conflict; the fear can be centered on a body part, or, most commonly, on an imagined problem with that body part. Disease is a common complaint; see also Body dysmorphic disorder and Hypochondriasis. Generally, modern medical professionals have given up the use of "hysteria" as a diagnostic category, replacing it with more precisely defined categories such assomatization disorder. In 1980, the American Psychiatric Association officially changed the diagnosis of "hysterical neurosis, conversion type" to "conversion disorder".
The stewardess came and asked if she wanted to stay with them and she conceded.

I saw her after the flight and she said "Thank You!" That was nice!

Sometimes, we take things for granted. Since I travel a lot, I can just sleep off even the worst air pocket. And, I also have a positive attitude and so I always think it will pass.

What is an Airpocket? According to my friend, the Wikipedia, Air pocket is also known as the Clear Air Turbulence.
Clear air turbulence (CAT) is the turbulent movement of air masses in the absence of any visual cues such as clouds, and is caused when bodies of air moving at widely different speeds meet.[1]
The atmospheric region most susceptible to CAT is the high troposphere at altitudes of around 7,000–12,000 metres (23,000–39,000 ft) as it meets the tropopause. Here CAT is most frequently encountered in the regions of jet streams. At lower altitudes it may also occur near mountain ranges. Thin cirrus cloud can also indicate high probability of CAT.
CAT can be hazardous to the comfort, and even safety, of air travel.

It is really a pity to see the "laddy" go to Panic Mode! I want to comfort "her" but since she doesn't know me, she might not even believe me! I wouldn't know if she had a previous bad experience ... or she really is the anxious type of person!

I hope she recovers from this fear...she is so young and I know she would want to travel the world!
I hope she would gain more faith... that things will always turn out for the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment